CELTA Teacher Training
Why the CELTA?
CELTA stands for Certificate of English Language Teaching to Adults and is the industry standard English language teaching certificate. It is accepted by employers worldwide and is accredited and externally moderated by Cambridge English, part of the University of Cambridge. The CELTA is the most recognised route into the English language teaching profession for people with little or no experience of teaching English as a foreign language.
What a CELTA gives you
- 140 hours of contact time with internationally experienced and Cambridge English-approved trainers
- Six hours of assessed teaching practice experience
- Six hours of observations of experienced English language teaching (ELT) professionals
- Assisted lesson planning support, constructive feedback on the lessons that you teach and tutorial support
- Participation in highly practical input sessions focused on all aspects of teaching English as a second language
The course enables you to:
- acquire essential subject knowledge and familiarity with the principles of effective teaching
- acquire a range of practical skills for teaching English to adult learners
- demonstrate your ability to apply your learning in a real teaching context
- successfully begin working in a variety of teaching English language teaching (ELT) contexts around the world upon course completion
The syllabus consists of five units of learning that deal with specific topic areas in the teaching of ESOL.
- Unit 1 Learners and teachers, and the teaching and learning context
- Unit 2 Language analysis and awareness
- Unit 3 Language skills: reading, listening, speaking and writing
- Unit 4 Planning and resources
- Unit 5 Developing teaching skills and professionalism
Before the course
We do all we can prior to the course to ensure candidates stand the best possible chance of successfully completing the award. The pre-course process includes:
- Completing the application form and pre-interview tasks
- Preparing for and participating in an interview with our CELTA course tutor.
- Producing a piece of written work.
- Completing the pre-course tasks.
- Doing the recommended reading.
During the course
The course is intensive over 6 weeks or part-time over 12 weeks. Since it’s a blended learning course you will be studying in your own time for 10-15 hours per week. Contact time will be once or twice a week depending on the course format you choose. This will consist of teaching practice with live students online, feedback from your tutors and help with lesson planning. Expect your weeks to be taken up with planning, teaching, reflecting on lessons and completing four written assignments. From the beginning you will be an active participant in your own training and development.
After the course - the CELTA Certificate
If successful, a few days after the course, you will receive an electronic version of your end-of-course report, which contains your final recommended grade. This acts as a reference from your course tutor and can be used to start applying for jobs until the hard copy of your CELTA certificate arrives from Cambridge English. You can expect the official certificate to arrive within two months of completing the course.
Your tutors are all qualified to Diploma level in the Teaching of English to Speakers of Other Languages (TESOL) and as such possess years of experience in the field of ELT. In addition, they are certified by Cambridge English and regularly undergo training and professional development to ensure they continue to improve. They combine professional expertise with an enthusiastic and encouraging approach to training.
The CELTA assessment is made not only on your ability to teach and your language awareness, but also on your overall professional attitude and behaviour. You will be assessed by the course tutors but the course will also be moderated by an external assessor who visits the course for quality assurance purposes.
The overall assessment aims for each unit are that you should be able to:
- assess learner needs, plan and teach lessons which take account of learners' backgrounds, learning preferences and current needs
- demonstrate language knowledge and awareness and appropriate teaching strategies
- demonstrate knowledge about language skills and how they may be acquired
- plan and prepare lessons designed to develop their learners' overall language competence
- demonstrate an appropriate range of teaching skills at this level and show professional awareness and responsibility
The certificate will be awarded to candidates who meet the course requirements and whose performance meets, or exceeds, the criteria in both assessment components. The outcome of the course is decided on a continuous assessment basis, there is no final examination.
Course dates 2021 / 2022
Full time online (6 weeks):
- November 15th to December 17th
- January 3rd to February 11th 2022
- February 14th to March 25th 2022
- March 28th to May 13th (including Easter Break)
Part time blended online (12 weeks):
- November 1st 2021 to February 4th, 2022
- November 15th 2021 to February 18th 2022
- November 29th 2021 to March 4th 2022
- January 3rd to March 25th 2022
- January 31st to April 29th 2022
- February 14th to May 13th 2022
- Febtuary 28th to May 27th 2022
- March 14th to June 10th 2022
- March 29th to June 25th 2022
Cost: $1,450 including Cambridge exam fees*
*in order to help with the current local situation, we are offering a 10% discount to Peruvians with a valid DNI
In order to participate in the course you must:
- be at least 18 years of age.
- be educated to a level suitable for University/Higher Education entrance.
- have an awareness of language and a competence in English, both written and spoken that will enable you to follow the course and complete the assignments.
How to pay
Once you have been accepted onto the course you will need to submit a non-refundable US$500 deposit to secure your place. Fees must be paid in full 2 weeks before the course is due to start. However, if we have openings, you can enrol at any time so contact us to see if there are places available.